Your task is to spell your name using a series of individual black and white photographs placed together to form a vertical or horizontal artwork.
Take a look around you…if you use your imagination, you should be able to see nature/your surrounding environment creating letters for you, you just need to frame them in your camera lens! Try to find images that display high levels of contrast between the letter and its surroundings, as this will help the letter to ‘stand out’ (e.g. a dark background and light letter, or vice versa).
1. If you have a shortened name, such as ‘Tom’, you must either use ‘Thomas’, or use ‘Tom’, and then your last name as well! You must present a MINIMUM of 5 photos!
2. You may only use one letter which is a photograph taken directly from a sign/banner/logo. The aim of this project is to get you to use your imagination, and produce images that make letters in a creative manner.
3. Your letters cannot all be produced in the same way (e.g. I don’t want to see your name spelt out in sticks). I want to see a wide variety of images, each produced in a different way.
4. You can use Photoshop to crop images and convert to black and whit. Alter the contrast/brightness levels to match each letter. I do not want the images to be created in Photoshop though; you must use the camera to do this!
5. If your name has the same letter repeated a number of times, try to create different images for each time it is used (e.g. In my example above, I have used two different images for the letter ‘E’).