Use the comment to write 300 words body paragraph. Complete ready for Friday L2 Week 9.
All the best with Trial Exams
Just creating a blog post for the next week that allows you to post specific questions you have regarding your Individual study or Group Production role.
Next week there will be another about your progress and also plan to move forward with the Group Production.
Have a productive week and will see you on Thursday.
So reflection time after today's lesson. This post will be a little different as I will share my thoughts and you will then make a choice. We love democracy (when it goes our way) and so majority will rule on this one.
Today did not work. The process did not work, the groupings, the options, none of it worked. Some background, i was concerned about how to group this task, as my goal is for EVERYONE to reach their potential, for every single person in the class to get the best grade possible (and keep it after moderation), in all tasks and for me to help you get there. That means I can not leave others behind, i can't allow groups that will fail while others succeed, to exist. It is obvious that people are in different places so far this year, different levels of commitment. But not one person stated that they wanted anything less then a B for their overall grade, so I am sure even the slow starters will warm up very soon.
Your concern is you! You want to get the best possible grade and you don't want to be in a group with people that will hinder that. You know who you work well with and who you think you don't. Hence I understand the tensions and frustrations from today
What is missing in the class is a strong group dynamic. What has not been grasped by the class yet (and which i did not realise the extent of and importance of until today) is that you are in this together, you are a team! Drama is different to other classes, in this space you need to accept others, appreciate others, learn from, listen too and work as a cohesive unit. Your grades depend on it! but more importantly then that, the experience you have this year, depends on it.
Trust is lacking on many fronts. There is a lack of trust in what I am doing, my marking, my choices, my expectations, my experience. A lack of trust in each others ability, ideas, beliefs. This needs to change.
When I think of each of you as individuals and read your first posts, I see one thing in common, a group of 17 young adults that see the possibilities in theatre and performance and a love of Drama. That is your common ground! We have technical students, comic performers, film makers, dramatic performers, singers, dancers, action heroes, script writers, designers and directors. All different parts with one fundamental similarity, you love some element of drama.
So where too from here? My suggestion is to forget the grouping part of the lesson today, "it never happened" and we move forward with one of two options.
1. We continue with this task and the due date and we pick names out of a hat and let fate decide and take all the emotion and choice out of it.
2. We change tack, do our Interpretive study (individual written piece or oral piece) on a play text over the next 4 weeks and do the group task in Term 3 after we have gotten to know each other better and have a better group dynamic.
You are in Year 12, I want you to have some say over how your year will be shaped, I work collaboratively, and want to support you as best I can. However if this is not possible, if we can not agree or people can't bend a little and compromise, or have a sense of entitlement, then democracy is out and dictatorship is in! And we know what can happen under that leadership structure!!
Have a think about it and post back. I will tally responses on Thursday evening and send out the decision on Friday.
In the mean time think about all the people in your class and what they have to offer, what do you appreciate about them. I have at least one thing for each and everyone of you!
Based on the video we have seen and the work we have done, discuss wether you feel the work of the Theatre of the Oppressed can use theatre to insight real change in individuals and communities.
Also there are spare excursion forms on the year 12 page.
have a great weekend
We have started to explore Boal's work and a looked at the use of image theatre to explore and hopefully break through oppression.
Do you feel that oppression is still an issue today? Discuss.
Do you think image theatre is away to bring about change to the oppressed?
Did being an spect-actor make you feel empowered?
Could this process we used in a school setting to insight change? explore
What value do you see in this work?
Firstly chocolate frogs or apples (depending on your nutritional standing) to the first person who can state which musical the title is from.
Today we started looking at the team and how our new team works. This post is about you identifying what worked and didn't and focussing on where you fit and what you need to do to make our team a success.
1. Did you participate to the best of your ability? why/why not
2. What positives did you observe about the group through the task?
3. What concerns about the group were raised?
4. What did you find out about yourself and how you fit in this group?
5. What did you add to the task to make it successful?
6. How did you hinder the group succeeding?
7. What do you need to change to help this team work?
We have just spent the last two lessons watching Chicago. If you have missed any key sections watch them over the weekend. We are about to write a review, for this post you need to identify what key themes you have picked up in the film and 1 example of how the theme is shown through the film/theatre techniques.
Welcome back from what I hope was a restful break and welcome to Year 12. The purpose of the blog is two fold.
1. To encourage discussion and reflection on the work we do in class - Being able to critically reflect and evaluate are important skills for Drama Students, doing this frequently will improve your writing (which makes up at least 30% of the course)
2. Keeping track of the process involved in either the Group Production or Individual study is critical to ensure you can write a detailed and accurate Production report (10%)
You will be informed when posts will be added. At the very least this will be once a week. At the most every lesson.
Things to consider:
1. This is a public site - Keep it appropriate
2. Your class mates can read what you write
3. Focus on yourself and what you can do to change, not blaming others
4. Make it a habit, then you don't need to remember it.
So Lets get started.
Post 1 - Letter of Introduction
Write a letter introducing yourself to your class and your teacher. Feel free to comment on others posts.
Include the following:
1. What you love about Drama
2. Why you picked it (be honest)
3. What you are most looking forward to in this course
4. What you are least looking forward to in this course
5. What are your strengths
6. What are your weaknesses
Below are optional points you can include
7. Favourite band
8. Favourite movie - Why
10. anything else you would like to share
I look forward to reading your responses